Monday, 2 February 2009

Sociology -- on action

5pm, in Alcuin Auditorium, three consecutive talks given by three sociologist, in fact, more like researchers in education.
I always talk myself through to keep my mind open,but still I found the research in that area kind of shallow. However, I try to see the merits in that area, and do realize that one good thing worth praise is that studies in sociology focused on solving a practical social problems. Of course, some may look into the future, but most of them are starting from the issues in daily life.
Rather than criticizing their lack of strict evidence, I do appreciate their audacity of practising and consider various factors in reality. They may have to deal with government, keeping an eye on the social climate, and predicting the reaction that people may have after the implement of the act.
The final talk is especially interesting, which touches the realistic problem of teenagers' lack of interest in science. The female speaker showed a supreme speaking skill with humurous remarks, which make the impatient me put away the gloves and took out a pen.

One more thing other than the lecture, is that in today's lecture (Contemporary Issue), I found that Philip is not that horrifying, but possessed a staidness and respectable attitude treating things he knows or not know. Never pretending. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment